Monday, December 14, 2009

Rabbi Judah Loew

I collect stamps almost cancelled, used in postal service. I am sure you know, how hard it is to get such stamps these days, because they are less in use. To find some less common commemorative stamp with higher value on cover is more difficult, so I am very pleased with new piece for my collection:


It is the 2009 stamp from Czech republic, with the picture of jewish rabbi and scholar Judah Loew ben Bezalel, known mainly as Rabbi Loew. Beside his interest in natural sciences he became fame mainly thanks to legend about Golem - clay giant, whom he livened. He was interested in astrology and astronomy too and wrote 17 books. More information about Rabbi Loew can you find e.g. on Wikipedia.
In addition, I own this stamp in double joined with coupon depicting the kiddush cup, which is reputedly from possession of Rabbi Loew.

No comments:

Post a Comment